This recipe is my Mom’s current caramel recipe. She has made caramels my entire life. She updated her recipe a few years ago after I got a recipe from Harbor House in Grand Haven, MI. She combined it with her own and revised it to come up with this amazing treat. ~Kim
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 cup butter
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a medium saucepan mix sugar, Karo syrup and butter over medium heat. Continue stirring until mixture comes to a “ploppy” boil. Time for 7 minutes, NOT stirring.
- Then add condensed milk. Mix well and continue stirring over medium heat. When mixture comes to a “ploppy” boil again, time for 13 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Take off heat and add vanilla. Mix well and pour into a well-buttered 8"x 8" glass pan.
- Cool overnight at room temperature.
- Cut into bite-sized squares and wrap with squares of parchment paper.
I am too lazy to wrap the caramels in parchment paper, so I place individual caramels in mini baking cups.