If you love avocados and are looking for a savory breakfast or brunch, look no further.
I love breakfast and avocados are in my top-ten favorite foods, so I had to try the sweet potato hash recipe I found on my bag of avocados. Swapping out ingredients was a given since I wasn't going to run to the grocery store, cook and shred a chicken breast when I had a leftover pork steak in my refrigerator, and my husband refuses to eat mushrooms that were part of the inspiration recipe.
There is no need to accurately measure for this recipe. Have fun with it and make changes and season to taste. I highly recommend using whatever cooked leftover meat you have rather than cooking a chicken breast, pork chop, or turkey specifically for the recipe. Not only will this use up your leftovers, but it will save you a lot of time and another dirty dish.
Think about adding ingredients like mushrooms, cooked shredded chicken or turkey, cooked thinly sliced pork or beef steak, crumbled bacon, various herbs and spices.
Put it all together
Below you'll find recipes for the Avocado Aioli and the Sweet Potato Hash. All you have to do is put it all together along with a fried egg. Or maybe do your own thing with a poached or soft boiled egg or skip the egg if that's not your thing. We like to sprinkle a little hot sauce on top.
Layer it up:
- Food Processor
- Mixing Bowl & fork
- 1 whole avocado
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon or lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- Cut avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop flesh into food processor or mixing bowl.
- Add squeeze juice from 1/2 lemon or use equivalent lemon juice.
- Add remaining ingredients and process or mash and mix well if using mixing bowl.
- Can be stored in an airtight container in refrigerator for a few days.
- Can be thinned with olive oil to use as a drizzle over your dish
- It's all about the taste you like, so experiment with some of these options: hot sauce, parsley, cilantro, white wine vinegar, basil, minced shallot, minced chili or jalapeño pepper
Sweet Potato Hash
- cutting board
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 whole sweet potatoes peeled & diced; adjust quantity based on size
- 1/4 cup onion diced, adjust to taste and onion strength
- 1 cup cooked leftover meat shredded or sliced very thin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Peel and cube sweet potato; dice onion.
- Add olive and sweet potato cubes to skillet over medium heat. Resist the urge to stir for 3-4 minutes until each side is golden brown.
- Add a little more oil and diced onion after all sides of sweet potaoes are golden and are fork tender. Stir cooking until onions and potatoes are tender.
- Add shredded or thinly sliced cooked meat, paprika, salt, and pepper. Heat through and serve.
- Optional ingredients: mushrooms, cooked shredded chicken or turkey, cooked thinly sliced pork or beef steak, crumbled bacon, various herbs and spices
- Try this hash with an egg and avocado aioli on top.